Sunday 16 February 2014

A sad start to the day

I chose the take the no 21 bus into Jerusalem today. This is an easier route and one that does not involve going through the turnstile and scanner on foot at Checkpoint 300. No 21 is used mostly by Internationals and people with blue IDs (i.e. Jerusalem residency). There is a checkpoint and someone boards the bus, but it is not intrusive.

I had just boarded the bus and it was about to leave when I noticed a young lad of about 11 with a very young puppy. It was not on a lead and it ran into the road. The bus moved off and ran over the little puppy. I saw the boys face as he screamed and then cried. It broke my heart. I suppose in the scale of things here it was not significant in terms of the brutality shown to people. But I feel for the young people growing up traumatised. How can they learn to love their neighbour when their lives are so controlled. 

So I was very sad as I walked through East Jerusalem. This week I went to the East Jerusalem Baptist Church, where Alex Awad (Sami's uncle) is the pastor. Sami's dad was also there - he founded Bethlehem Bible College. I got a very warm welcome and enjoyed the service. 

Alex Awad had just returned from a trip to Jordan where he had been working with other Palestinians from the Bethlehem Bible College helping the refugees from Syria. It is good that, even with the problems here, the Palestinian Christians are still committed to showing God's love to others.

There were lots of visitors and we all introduced ourselves. Some of the American Students I met in my first week were there. The small Church was packed with about 50 people. I had coffee and enjoyed chatting with several people after the service. 

I met the couple who operate the Garden Tomb, which we visited while on our Pilgrimage last year-the husband was a pupil at Wellington College. Also met Odette, who lives in Bethlehem and used to work for the UN. I have been invited to tea tomorrow! I had a nice chat with Beverley who teaches English at the Bethlehem Bible  College and have an invite to go there too. Quite a sociable morning. 

Then back on the bus to Bethlehem. 






No comments:

Post a Comment