Saturday 15 February 2014

Feeling foolish

Spent some time researching options for going to Church while I am here. Apart from the Church of the Nativity, which is Greek Orthodox, I could not find any on the web. This seemed strange, especially when I read that Beit Sala, one of the cities within Greater Bethlehem, and close to where I am living,  has 70% christian population. 

So I walked to Beit Sala, which I discovered was on the next mountain! To my surprise, I found lots of Churches and they were beautiful, for example, the Church of the Annunciation, St Mary's Church, the Lutheran Church and the Church of St Nicholas. 

The picture is of the Lutheran Church. The reason that I could not find anything on the web is that all the services in all these Churches are in Arabic - I know now that I should have realised that. Hence there is nothing about them in English on the web. I called there and they told me that if I came, they would translate part of the service into English - cannot imagine translating our service into Arabic for a Palestinian calling at St Johns!

The only English service I have found so far is in Jerusalem, so I will go there again tomorrow. I am going to do some more research next week to find out whether there are English services in Bethlehem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment