Saturday 1 March 2014

Italian Mass in the Cremisan Valley

I have written about the Cremisan Valley several times. On Tuesday I sat in the office researching the issues on the internet. Then yesterday four of us took a taxi to the valley for the regular Friday open-air Mass.

This afternoon I walked from the Aida camp to the Convent and School, high on the hillside overlooking the valley. I had a chance to enjoy this spectacular place. 


I then joined a large group from Italy who had gathered in quiet solidarity with the Nuns and to protest against the proposed extension of the Wall. 

The Catholic Service in Italian in this unique setting was surprising moving and I was again welcomed to join in the Eucharist. 


As we left to march down through Beit Jala, we had a view over the valley. All the hilltops on the left of the photo are occupied by illegal settlements. The proposal to build the road next to where I am walking is to protect these settlers. It is so strange that they keep moving closer to these dangerous nuns. It has been suggested that the Wall, if built at all, should go along the other side of the valley, close to the settlement - we await the revised proposals to see whether they have changed. All the land of the Cremisan Valley is inside the Green Line- the internationally recognised border between Israel and Palestine. These settlements are on the Palestinian side of the line.  


The Palestinian police (and all the local lads) turned out to guide us down the steep and busy high street of Beit Jala. The route passed Aida, so I said my goodbyes and slipped back into the camp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment