Wednesday 26 February 2014

Visiting the Bethlehem Bible College

Flora
On the way back home, I called in to the Bethlehem Bible College, as several people had invited me to visit. Everyone was really nice. Flora showed we around the college.

Bishara Awad
Bishara Awad was concerned that theological students were leaving Bethlehem to study and were not returning. He had a dream to open a Bible College in Bethlehem. A friend gave him a cheque and told him to get started. The cheque was for £20!

Nevertheless he did achieve his dream and he founded the Bethlehem Bible College. They bought the modest building which had previously been used for the Helen Keller Centre for the blind. They had five years to pay and weeks before the deadline they were $500,000 short. Then Bishara received a donation of $600,000!

Once through the building which faces the road, the view reveals two more newer buildings. The latest has only recently been opened and is state of the art. There is a very smart auditorium, and chapel. I had a look around the facilities and saw the extensive library, which is open to the public, and the media room, which is very well set out. 

I found out about the Shepherd Society, which is the social arm of the college, helping local families. At Christmas they distributed 370 food parcels to needy people in the Bethlehem area.

Finally I had lunch at the college. During the visit I had also met Alex Awad, the paster at the Church I attend in Jerusalem, and his wife Brenda. All made me feel very welcome. 
Alex Awad
Then back to my house to write about all that I have seen and heard today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment