Tuesday 25 February 2014

Starting a new phase

I have just completed three weeks here and have seen a lot to help me understand the problems. I recall Mitri Raheb saying that Palestine had seen a lot of people who came to see, but little has yet been done to stop the occupation. After my time of meditation yesterday, I am determined not to just make this a time for my personal education, but one which leads to some action to help the Palestinians. 

I have decided to turn my focus to ways in which I can encourage others to  work for change, including the potential role which St John's might have. I am going to go back to study the Kairos documents and to use the knowledge gained here to see how we might develop a programme of active support to Palestine, subject of course to the Church agreeing. 

It is strange how things work out, as this morning Rafat asked me to write something to encourage delegates at the forthcoming "Christ at the Checkpoint" conference to take action to support Cremisan Valley - see the following article. This has started me on a process of thinking about advocacy.

I am considering registering for the Christ at the Checkpoint Conference. It is happening on March 10th-14th and is at the Intercontinental Hotel in Bethlehem, which is next door to Aida Camp, where I am staying. Seems like I am in the right place, except that I forgot to bring the tuxedo.   


No comments:

Post a Comment