Thursday 13 March 2014

Initial thoughts on the "Christ at the Checkpoint"

We have been treated to some excellent speakers from a wide range of backgrounds, such as:-

- Christian zionists
- Palestinian Christians
- Israeli Christians
- Messianic Jews
- Coptic Church Bishop
- Theologians
- Perspectives from India and South Africa, Latin America and the Balkans

The organisers at the Bethlehem Bible College are to be congratulated on assembling such a range of speakers. I am pleased that they have been rewarded by seeing the Conference full to capacity.

As someone who has never been initiated into Zionist, or even Evangelical theology, I struggled to understand the issues at the beginning. But the wonderful Christian spirit which has pervaded the Conference has enabled me to listen to people discuss different views and I think I now understand the issues. For the most part, I hope that this greater understanding will enable me to appreciate (and even aspire to love) people who hold different views. I judge that this blog is not the appropriate place to go into more detail (at least that is what Tracy has told me!)

I have also enjoyed meeting some wonderful people during the Conference. 

The torrential rain continues and I got soaked for the second time at lunchtime today. I decided not to go on the tour to East Jerusalem as it is cold and very wet. 

The final set of presentations will be this evening and then we have a workshop on a chosen topic tomorrow. I have elected to go to "How to speak on behalf of the Palestinian Church" with Sami Awad and Anne Clayton (Friends of Sabeel UK). Looking forward to that. 

Today I also purchased "The stones cry out", a dvd which tells the story of the Palestinian Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment