Thursday 27 March 2014

Getting involved in the disturbances

The Israeli Defence Force replaced a section of the wall on Sunday. Today the young people pooled their cash and bought some tyres - made quite a show this afternoon. The unrest continues. Photo courtesy of Facebook (not mine). 

The family asked me last night why I did not get involved in the disturbances here. When there are noises, the children rush to the window (or as yesterday go up on the roof) to see what is happening. Several of the internationals in the house get fully involved, filming and talking to the soldiers and the young people. Around 8 Palestinians and two soldiers have been injured in the clashes. The family are, of course, concerned for others here - they are mostly related, and seem disappointed that I do not want to demonstrate solidarity with them by going out on the street.

I told the family that I see my role as telling people at home what is happening, reporting the injustice and working for peace. I do not agree with violent means, either by the soldiers, or by the Palestinians, though I can feel the frustration of people who have been imprisoned and face oppression every day. I am in full support of removing the oppression which makes their lives almost unbearable. For young people, it is all they have left to show that they resist this occupation - to throw stones at  soldiers with guns. I will use the pen and the word to do this.

I am hopeful that the nations of the world will right this injustice. Sadly the people here have seen many, many international visitors, and still nothing changes. They do not expect me to make any difference. I aim to prove them wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment