Monday 17 March 2014

Another amazing event

I have spoken several times in this blog about times when I feel that God is close. Another such time occurred today. 

Yesterday I was thinking about possible new stories which I might tell when I return. I know something of the situation in the Jordan Valley and decided that this would be a good story to tell. However, I have only passed through on the coach (last year) and have taken no relevant photos. Then I realised that Lloyd and Marianne are going to Galilee over the next couple of days. I wondered whether I might ask them to stop and take some photos for me.

This is why the Jordan Valley is important to Israel and to Palestine
The Jordan Valley
The Jordan Valley is in the West Bank and thus part of the Occupied Palestinian Territories. It lies between the River Jordan to the East and the mountains to the West, and between Lake Galilee to the North and the Dead Sea to the south. Is is over 300 metres below sea level, is very fertile and has a warm climate. It has the best agricultural land in the West Bank. However... 

Quote from Jordan Valley Solidarity
"Benyamin Netanyahu, 2001: “Nobody said what defined military zones were. Defined military zones are security zones; as far as I am concerned, the entire Jordan Valley is a defined military zone.” (1)

In total, 95% of the land in the Jordan Valley is off-limits to Palestinians: 50% is controlled by Israel’s illegal settlements, and the other 45% is military bases, ‘closed military zones’ and ‘nature reserves’ (areas controlled by the occupation, that Palestinians are refused access to). This matrix of oppression suffocates Palestinian life in the Valley and stifles traditional forms of subsistence farming and grazing undertaken by the Bedouin throughout history.


Today, out of the blue, Lloyd and Marianne called in to the office for a chat, and told me that they plan to visit some of the Palestinian villages and Bedouins in the Jordan, and would I like to come! I was really emotional as it seems that God is guiding me every step along the way he has chosen for me. I have been so blessed to have found such good friends here. So I leave with them tomorrow for a 2-3 day trip.

After visiting I'Blin, we will visit the Galilee and then come back down through the Jordan Valley. We need some help with the visit, as the Palestinian villages are not easy to get too (with roadblocks and settlements) so we are trying to arrange for a guide to show us around. I am waiting to hear the details. Another opportunity for me to trust in God that he will sort this out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment