Wednesday 5 March 2014

Advocacy

I am starting to think about Advocacy and how to help the Palestinians when I come home. There is no point in coming here and listening to the stories if we do not act on them and advocate for change. 

Tracy and Hannah went to an Open Doors event on Saturday. This included Utube video of Stephen Rand talking about advocacy. I listened to this and found it really useful.

His definition of advocacy was :"Speaking to the powerful on behalf of the powerless”

Well I took this to heart and wrote to Phillip Lee, our local MP, William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, Barack Obama (I guess you know who he is), and the Jerusalem correspondent for the BBC, Yolande Knell. I wrote to them about Wafaa and Abed and the demolition order on their house in Battir.

Stephen Rand also said that the first thing is prayer - no one is more powerful than God! 


Tracy and I have been reading Psalm 91, in which it says:-

The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
I will protect those who trust in my name.
When they call on me, I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will rescue and honor them.
I will reward them with a long life
and give them my salvation.”


Prayer takes on a new urgency when it involves demolition of your home. Please pray for Wafaa and Abed and their family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment