Sunday 9 February 2014

Going through the checkpoint

In order to leave Bethlehem to go to Jerusalem, I have two choices. Internationals can use a bus that starts from Beit Jala and goes straight to Jerusalem. Palestinians have to walk through the checkpoint to catch the no 24 on the Jerusalem side. 

I chose to go through the checkpoint and found it a traumatic experience. It is difficult to describe in detail, but I felt totally humiliated by the process. I knew that, as an international, I would be permitted to go through, but I was still very nervous - I saw others who were taken aside and subjected to "thorough" searching. How people on both sides of the process can do this every day, I cannot begin to understand. Not only that, but I went after all the workers and they start queuing at 4am. Needless to say, photos are prohibited. Not surprised.

Of course, once through, I had a lovely morning. I went to Church at St George's Cathedral and the service was really uplifting. I met Naim Ateek and Hanni, our guide from the Pilgrimage with the Bishop last year. I spoke to lots of people and joined some of them to stroll through the old city before catching the bus back. Fortunately, going back into Bethlehem is much easier.

Back home the family prepared another delicious lunch for me and I heard one of the children read in English in the afternoon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment