Monday 31 March 2014

Meeting a Russian Jew

On my way home from Israel, I sat next to a young lady who told me that she is Russian. Her family lived close the the border with China and life was very hard - her mother did not get any wages for a year. Being Jewish, her family was offered the chance to come to live in Israel and they now live in Tel Aviv, where she is very happy. She was on her way to America for a holiday.

She has a job, and is learning to cope with four languages - Jewish, Arabic, English and Russian. Life is much better for her and her family. I mentioned that I had been living in Bethlehem. and she made a face. The problems there were not of her making and she told me that she does not wish to become involved. I understand that for many Jewish immigrants there is no connection to what the Israeli Government is doing - they are just pleased to be treated well.

Then she surprised me by telling me that she served in the israeli army. I was even more surprised when she told me that she was in a tank regiment! I asked if she drove, but she said the boys liked to drive the tank. I did not see any tanks while I was in Israel or the West Bank. When I think of soldiers in Israel, I will think of her and remember that they are just ordinary people asked to do difficult things.  

I realise that there are many in Israel who live well but at the cost of pain and suffering for others. It will be difficult for these people to give equally to others if it means limitations on their own lifestyle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment